Opened on a green field site in 1982, the Holy Faith/De La Salle College was formed following a merger of the De La Salle College, Holy Faith Convent and Skerries Vocational School. The Sisters of the Holy Faith had provided education in Skerries since 1875. The De La Salle Brothers opened a school for boys in Skerries in 1948. Vocational Education had its origins in Skerries in 1925. All three schools flourished and by the mid 1970’s it was evident that the existing schools would be inadequate to meet the needs of a growing population of Skerries. A plan of co-operation was drawn between the Holy Faith Sisters, De La Salle Brothers and Co. Dublin Vocational Education Committee.
The plan enabled the provision of the full range of subjects for all post primary students of the town, under one roof. The Department of Education approved the plan and the Holy Faith/De La Salle College, a Catholic voluntary secondary school, opened in 1982. Two nominees from Co. Dublin VEC were appointed to the Board of Management of the Holy Faith/De La Salle College. Archived material held in the College preserves the history of the previous schools. Holy Faith/De La Salle College came under the management of Co. Dublin VEC in September 1999 under the new name Skerries Community College. The school crest of Skerries Community College incorporates the cross, with radiating rays, symbol of the Holy Faith Sisters, and the five-pointed star and motto ‘Signum Fidei’ of the De La Salle Order. Located inside the main entrance is a Memorial Garden dedicated to the memory of the Holy Faith Sisters and the De La Salle Brothers, which is a constant and simple reminder of the heritage of the college.
The current building with an extension officially opened in 2005 offers state of the art facilities for all areas of education. The college offers a spacious fully equipped gymnasium, five language rooms, two Art rooms, three Home Economics rooms, five Engineering/Construction Studies rooms, one Music room, two Computer rooms, five Science laboratories, an Oratory, a Library, a Study Hall, Pastoral offices, two Counsellors offices, one Religious Education room, twenty-six general classrooms, two staff rooms and a Canteen area together with a Stage for staging musicals and plays. Five gardens within the main building complete the layout.
Skerries is a seaside town, 30km from Dublin City. The population of the town has grown significantly due to its proximity to the city and as a result there has been significant development in the locality. Skerries Community College is the only second level school in the town, catering for an enrolment of approximately 920 students. While being justifiably proud of its long tradition and heritage, Skerries Community College strives consistently to adapt to the educational requirements of a rapidly changing world. The College has a tradition of high academic achievement and the majority of students go on to third level and further education. Students with special needs and disabilities are supported in the college